Teletherapy is one of many words for online counseling. Research has proven Teletherapy to be highly effective over the span of many years. Here are a few links to articles supporting this method of delivering services.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26173842 Bertholet, Nicolas, et al. 2015 Internet-based brief intervention for young men with unhealthy alcohol use: A randomized controlled trial in a general population sample. Addiction:(in press)
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4744872/ Bashshur, R. L., Shannon, G. W., Bashshur, N., & Yellowlees, P. M. (2016). The Empirical Evidence for Telemedicine Interventions in Mental Disorders. Telemedicine and e-Health, 22(2), 87-113.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK76016/ Barak, A., Hen, L., Boniel-Nissim, M., & Shapira, N. (2008). A comprehensive review and a meta-analysis of the effectiveness of internet-based psychotherapeutic interventions. J Technol Hum Services, 26(2–4), 109–160.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18348749– DilliFraine, J. L., & Dansky, K. H. (2008). Home–based telehealth: A review and meta-analysis. Journal of Telemedicine and Telecare, 14, 62–66. doi:10.1258/jtt.2007.070709
- Convenience: You can have an appointment during your lunch hour, after you feed your children dinner, on a weekend, in your own home, from your car, wherever you can protect your privacy and be alone. Not to mention, who wants to leave the house when they are having a bad allergy day, cannot find a babysitter or the roads are bad?
- Accessibility: Millions of people live far from access to healthcare and this is a way for those from rural Colorado, those who have medical issues or anxiety, if you are a caretaker and cannot get away, or even just have busy lives or kids that prevent you from being able to go to a therapy office and receive services. This eliminates, lack of transportation, sitting in traffic, and taking extra time out of your day.
- Same level of care as face to face: Many studies such as the ones above are showing no difference in outcomes between teletherapy and face to face services.
- Better patient experience: Not only is Teletherapy a time saver in many ways but can also reduce any stigma of going to a counseling office.
- Comfort: Engaging in conversations about your issues can be uncomfortable, why not ease the experience by sitting at home with a blanket, coffee and your dog?
- Colorado Crisis Services Hotline-Call 1-844-493-8255 or text TALK to 38255
- National Suicide Prevention Line-Call 800-273-8255
- Child Abuse Hotline-800-4-A-CHILD
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services and Administration (SAMHSA)-1-800-662-4357
- National Domestic Violence Hotline- 800-799-7233
- National Eating Disorder Association (NEDA) Helpline- 1-800-931-2237 or text NEDA to741741
- Trevor Helpline/Suicide Prevention for LGBTQ+ Teens-1-866-488-7386
- Rape, Abuse, Incest National Network (RAINN)-1-800-656-HOPE
- AIDS National Hotline-1-800-342-2537