I usually handle winter pretty well. I decide to live in a place where we have an extremely long and often cold and snowy winter, and I choose to have a positive attitude about it. However, by the time the end of January, into February, I start to notice the weather wearing on me. Here are some ideas of things you might do to mix things up:
- Get out of your regular, daily routine. Something as simple as trying a new restaurant or driving a different way home to check out a new view can make a big difference.
- Rearrange your furniture in either a specific room, or even your whole house. For extra points, check out Feng Shui techniques to balance energy even better!
- Try adding 15-30 minutes of relaxation/meditation/mindfulness/yoga relaxing at either the beginning of your day, or at the end to reduce worries or sadness and increase a sense of calm and self-awareness. If these things are challenging, go to a class!
- Exercise! If you are anything like me, winter is hibernation season, but there is something to be said for “if you can’t beat em’, join em’. Try a new winter activity from snowshoeing to ice fishing, there is something for everyone, just bundle up!
- Make a plan with a friend/friends. We tend to see other people less in the winter. If you want to stay in, invite them over for hot chocolate (or hot toddies) and game night.
- Get out of town. Whether your budget allows for a beach vacation, or a day at hot springs in a nearby town, a change of location can help with perspective.
- Get a massage, try acupuncture, reiki, anything else that sparks your interest as these treatment modalities can make a big difference in mood!
Hang in there, only another 3 or 4 months to go until it’s warm again!